In order to maintain your status as a WMA Certified Member Mediator, you must obtain at least 20 hours of mediation experience and 20 hours of continuing education within the two-year renewal cycle. These 20 hours of continuing education must include a minimum of 10 hours in courses certified/qualified by a professional or educational organization.
In addition, we highly recommend that the 20 continuing education hours include:
- Minimum 2.0 hours in ethics
- Minimum 2.0 hours in diversity/cultural awareness
Your continuing education and mediation experience documentation is due at the time of your renewal application.
Requirements & Documentation
- Your name, address, phone number and any other important contact information;
- A statement that your application is for the approval of WMA certification renewal;
- Your *fee ($25 application fee plus $75 annual membership dues if not already current)
- Information describing each of your educational activities and experience:
- Name of Training
- Sponsoring group, organization or person
- A brief statement describing the relevance of the training to your mediation practice
- Number of applicable hours
- Information describing each of your mediations:
- Case #, if applicable
- Subject Matter or type of case
- Co-mediator or “solo” mediation
- Number of applicable hours
- A statement that declares all the information you are submitting to be true under penalty of perjury;
- Your signature; and
- At your option, supporting documentation for educational activities. (The WMA accepts your statement as a substitute for supporting documentation; therefore no documentation is required with your application. However, we ask that you keep any documentation for two years following your application in case the WMA should need to request it).
Certification Renewal FormDownload Renewal Form
To renew your certification provide the information requested above. You can mail your documents to the address below. You can also submit your materials electronically to: email@example.com or
1122 E. Pike St.
Seattle, WA 98122-3934
Please keep a copy of the renewal documentation for your reference and records. Committee member(s) will review all materials submitted.
Incomplete or unfunded applications will be held until completed.
*When a member fails to renew 12 months after their Anniversary/Renewal Date the following shall apply:
- If 12 months have passed since the Anniversary/Renewal Date but less than or equal to 18 months, the applicant must provide a log showing at least 30 hours of mediation education and a log showing at least 30 hours of mediation experience.
- If 18 months have passed since the Anniversary/Renewal Date but less than or equal to 24 months, the applicant must provide a log showing at least 40 hours mediation education and a log showing at least 40 hours of mediation experience.
- If 24 months have passed since the Anniversary/Renewal Date (now a full renewal period has passed), the applicant must submit an original application with documentation of original training and all training since that time, along with logs for experience, as required under the experience options A-1, A-2, B, or C.
- $25 additional for over 12 months from Anniversary/Renewal Date, in addition to the renewal fee of $25.
- $50 additional for over 24 months from Anniversary/Renewal Date in addition to the renewal fee of $25.